Vari-N-Duo™ Variable Neutral Density (ND) Filters
$390.00 – $480.00
The Vari-N-Duo is the best variable neutral density filter AND the best warming polarizer in ONE indispensable filter. Create exciting motion effects — and control glare and reflections and improve color saturation and tonal detail — all without stacking or changing filters. Just compose your shot, adjust focus, turn the polarizing ring to the desired look — and dial in density up to eight stops. It’s that easy.
Create exciting motion effects — and control glare and reflections and improve color saturation and tonal detail — all without stacking or changing filters.
Just compose your shot, adjust focus, turn the polarizing ring to the desired look — and dial in density up to eight stops. It’s that easy.
“A revolution in multitasking, this all-in-one does the work of multiple neutral-density filters, a warming filter and polarizer. Two rotating rings offer continuously adjustable neutral density from 2.7 to 8 stops. Expensive, but could single-handedly replace almost every filter now jammed into your camera bag.” ~
|Click for slideshow of the types of photos you could be creating with Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo filter.|
- Use a sturdy tripod and locking cable release.
- Open the Vari-N-Duo to minimum density to compose and focus, dial in the desired polarization and density, then close your viewfinder shutter to minimize the chance of a light leak.
- For easier control of the polarizing effect, set the filter density to minimum and turn both rings together until you see the desired look.
- As with any polarizer, you may need to adjust polarization to avoid uneven skies with wide-angle lenses.
- For best results, always use the Vari-N-Duo within its 2 2/3 and 8-stop exposure range.
- You can stack other Singh-Ray filters on the Vari-N-Duo, but be alert to possible vignetting. At least one of the filters must also have a standard ring mount (to reduce thickness and minimize vignetting, our thin-mount filters do not have outside threads).
How the Vari-N-Duo slows down your shutter speed in a “typical” daylight scene
|Without filter||1/500 sec. at f8|
|Vari-N-Duo at minimum density (2 2/3 stops)||1/80 sec. at f8|
|Vari-N-Duo at middle density (5 stops)||1/15 sec. at f8|
|Vari-N-Duo at maximum density (8 stops)||1/2 sec. at f8|
|Close your aperture for even slower shutter speeds||1 sec. at f11|
|2 sec. at f16|
|4 sec. at f22|
“The Vari-N-Duo is highly recommended by many, many pro landscape photographers. It’s a winner.” ~
The Vari-N-Duo also delivers in bright or less flattering light,
so you don’t have to restrict your photography to the “magic hour” around sunrise and sunset.
Dennis Frates (fratesphoto.com)
“The Vari-N-Duo not only helps me create more unique images, it also extends my shooting opportunities
throughout the entire day. I would previously use the middle of most days to scout locations to revisit later when the lighting was better
— such as early morning or late evening — but now the Vari-N-Duo gives me many additional options in midday light.” ~
Some Vari-ND shooting ideas
- Loosen the ballhead on your tripod and try panning or “swiping” vertically on a subject such as trees, or horizontally across a landscape or to track a moving car or bird in flight.
- From a stationary position, try shooting gently moving flowers, the motion of people walking, flowing water and passing clouds.
- Dial in density to maintain wider apertures and narrow depth of field while, for example, shooting macro subjects, using a flash, taking portraits in brighter light or shooting video.
- Once you get started, you’ll find that the Vari-N-Duo opens up a whole new world of creative possibilities!
Michael Bielat (buffalo-wedding-photographer.com)
“For my needs, the Vari-N-Duo is a very magical combination. With these filters, I can finally get images of the caliber they should be. I’m not kidding when I say that I wish I could go back and re-live my first 10 years as a photographer with these filters.” ~
Vari-N-Duo: the best variable neutral density filter the best warming polarizer = one indispensable filter.
Click here for tips and techniques from top pros on using the Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo variable neutral density filter.
You may also like…
Mor-Slo™ Solid Neutral Density (ND) Filters$250.00 – $670.00 Select options
LB “Lighter, Brighter” Color Intensifiers$240.00 – $685.00 Select options
Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density (ND) Filters$99.00 – $375.00 Select options
George Lepp Solid Neutral Density (ND) Filters$99.00 – $425.00 Select options
There are no reviews yet.